Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Twilight review by Anne

From a literary standpoint: The way Stephenie Meyer writes Bellas viewpoint really annoyed me. It's like Bella is telling you everything thats going through her head, but changing it a little. I never felt totally absorbed into the book or characters. I just felt that I was reading a book. Bella also annoyed me. I'm not sure what it was - she didn't seem very whiny to me as some people have complained of, but I just didn't care for her that well. She was really pretty boring. What I did like was that I could easily relate to her clumsiness, lack of sports skills and car knowledge lol I got so sick of hearing some things over and over again. How Bellas teammates acted in gym, and Edward's brilliance for example. I mean, she describes "He flashed his blinding white smile" and then all I can picture is a floating white mouth! Aside from that though, I found myself laughing out loud many times at Edwards comments - and some of Bella's too. About the time Edward and Bella took their first exscursion through the woods, I got more interested. From a moral viewpoint: Bella is pretty unselfish. She goes to live with her Dad, even though she hates his town, so that her Mom can be with her new husband. She takes very good care of her Dad. You can also tell she wants to have a better relationship with him. She does keep her relationship with Edward hidden from him at first, but tells hi mat Edwards urging. She's respectful of Billy even though he's telling her to stay away from the guy she loves madly. Edward does watch her every night while she sleeps, and then sleeps in the same bed with her after he tells her, but they don't do anything wrong. As to the wisdom of this, that's up to you. As far as their chastity goes, I wouldn't say it's so much that they are waiting till marriage (if they do so) to have sex, but the fact that Edward doesn't want to harm Bella by doing so. But it's a good analogy. Edwards family are all but one very kind to Bella, even if though don't all think Edward and Bella should have a relationship. And they also risk their lives for her sake.

1 comment:

Apprentice Seamstress said...

I love your review it was exactly as i look at the book!
yes bella is boring But she is really a fairly good Daughter and such and my favorite part is that she does get married before having sex.